What a wonderful week Kim Cravey, Patty Barthle, Sarah Childs and I had in Denver for the Summer Conference for ANCW! Besides having some nice cool weather it was so nice to see friends from other states and hear fresh, new ideas from other ANCW members. It was five days for me to absorb, share and brainstorm with our other CattleWomen from across the nation!…
Founded in 1961 as the Florida CowBelles, Inc., the Florida CattleWomen, Inc. (FCW) conduct and participate in a variety of activities that can be summed up in our Purpose: To foster the well-being of the beef industry through education and promotion, in cooperation with the Florida Cattlemen’s Association and Florida Beef Council. We are also an affiliate of the American National CattleWomen.
Events and activities are chosen for their ability to assist in accomplishing our priorities, namely:
- Promote Beef Consumption
- Educate the public about the Beef Industry’s Environmental and Animal Welfare Practices
- Promote Legislative Awareness
- Educate the FCW membership
At the present time some of the major activities are: Southern Women’s Show, Florida State Fair Booth and Beef Day, the Beef Consumer Representative Contest and activities, Ag In the Classroom, education and health conferences, Beef Shortcourse, March legislative visits, providing promotional and educational materials to county groups, and recognizing outstanding members. Additionally we support the Agricultural Youth of Florida through UF Scholarships; and 4-H, FFA, and FJCA sponsorships.
A note from the FCW President, Denise Colgan
Welcome to the Florida Cattlemen Website and our Florida CattleWomen page. We hope you find information here that will both answer some questions you might have about the CattleWomen and spark some new ones about our activities. Within the site you can find officer and committee chair information, brief descriptions of our regular activities, newsletters, monthly magazine articles, and details of coming events. Let me hear from you about what you think and if you have any suggestions for the future. Thanks for visiting.
1st Vice President
Recording and Corresponding Secretary
Florida Beef Ambassador
Membership in the Florida CattleWomen is open to all women who are interested in the purpose of the organization. Membership in the FCW is a prerequisite to serving as FCW committee member, on the Board of Directors or the Executive Committee. Contact the State Membership Chair (see committee list) for information. State dues are $15.00 per year. Hit the Join Now button to go to online membership form where you can pay online. Membership in the American National CattleWomen is encouraged but not required. Pay through your county or go to the ANCW website (ancw.org). Currently new members pay only $35.Join
FCW President’s Report from Denise Colgan
Activity Reporting Just Got Easier!
Have you recently shared the beef story with kids in the classroom? Have you sampled a delicious BEEF recipe at a local grocery store or health expo? Have you written an awesome blog or Press Release about a hot beef topic? Be sure to tell us all about it! Did you know activities can now be reported online! Just point, type and click! The new activity report can be found on our website under the “applications/forms” heading or visit: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ANCWactivities
Feel free to share this link on your state CattleWomen sites and you’ll receive quarterly reports from ANCW. Let’s all brag about our grassroots beef efforts!
Outstanding CattleWoman of the Year
The Florida CattleWomen Inc., has named the Outstanding Cattlewoman of the Year for 2013. The award was given to Lindsey Blakely John of Manatee County at the 2013 FCA Convention and Trade Show at Marco Island in June.
“Go Be a Beef Advocate!” was Lindsey’s theme as FCW President. She encouraged us all to have “elevator speeches” to tell consumers about the FL Beef Industry in 30 seconds or less. She told us not to overwhelm them with statistics and figures, but to show them that “We Care and We Take Care” of our cattle, the environment, and our communities. She was instrumental in brainstorming a new fundraising activity in 2007 that she has served as co-chair of for 5 years, raising $40,000 for beef promotion activities and scholarships. She resurrected the beef samples and cooking stage demonstrations at booth in the Florida State Fair “Taste of Florida” building; coordinating volunteers, purchasing product and designing a booth to better reach thousands of consumers each year. She led our members to new promotion events at the Metropolitan Cooking Show and the Kids in the Kitchen Fit-n-Fun Fest. She attended county cattlewomen meetings across the state to restore the connection with local members. She brought many new cattlewomen with her to the State Capitol and put them at ease traveling the halls and speaking to legislators.
She has been a local leader in the Manatee Cattlewomen since 2003, holding offices of President, Treasurer, and Director. She rebuilt the county membership through new programs that the members valued, such as a booth at the Manatee County Home Showin 2003-2004, increased county youth beef exhibitor recognition and awards, and participation in FCW events. Her hard work, dedication and attention to detail make every event and activity she is involved in run smoothly. Her love for the Beef Industry is evident in every action and decision she makes. Thank you for considering Lindsey for the 2013 Outstanding CattleWoman.
Involvement in Beef Industry:
- Local Level:
- Manatee County Cattlewomen Association, Inc.: President 2003-3004; Treasurer, 2005-2007; Fair Booth Chairman 2003-2004. Volunteer- 2003-2013.
- Beef Breeding Show Secretary, Manatee River Fair Association, 2007-2012.
- AgLiteracy Day Classroom volunteer, 2005-2013. .
- Manatee County AgVenture beef demonstration presenter 2003- 2008, 2011
- State Level: Florida CattleWomen, Inc.
- Delegate for a voting seat on the Florida Beef Council, 2009.
- Delegate for a voting seat on the Florida Cattleman’s Foundation, 2009-2010.
- Offices held: . President 2009; President-Elect 2008; Vice President 2007; Corresponding Secretary 2006.
- Committee involvement:
- Sporting Clay Fun Shoot Fundraiser, founding co-chair2008-2013.
- Florida State Fair consumer presentation booth, co-chair2011-2013.
- Florida Beef Ambassador, member- 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012
- Executive Committee, member, 2006-2012.
- Southern Women’s Show, volunteer- 2006-2009. Co-chair 2009.
- FL Cattleman’s Foundation Ranch Rodeo & Heritage Festival, volunteer 2011.
- Education, chair 2008.
- Promotion and Beef for Father’s Day, chair 2007
- American Agricultural Alliance Volunteer at the World Equestrian Games, Lexington, KY, Nov. 2010. “Meet an American Farmer” presenter at booth with thousands of U.S. and international attendees for a three day shift.
- Completed Master of Beef Advocacy Certification training presented by National Cattlemen’s Beef Association 2010.
- FCW Delegate to ANCW Conferences; Summer 2008-2009 and Winter 2009.
- FCW Chaperone to A~CW National Beef Ambassador Contest- 2011.
- American National Cattlewomen Region II Meeting Co-Chair 2007.