Dec. FCW Report
Ready. Set. Go!
What a fun time we had at the second annual Romp in the Swamp, the charity mud run in Plant City on November first! Our team Beef did such a great job traversing the course on a very cold morning. Ashley Hughes, Beth Hunt and Chrissy Grimmer braved the chilly wind and a challenging set of obstacles to spread the word about Beef. Michelle and Kenny Grimmer, Tami Newsome and Teri Pinkston, as well as David Hunt from Polk County, set up a booth with our Team Beef nutrition information. They provided water and knowledge for anyone willing to stop by. Several participants were excited to pick up a copy of the twenty-nine lean cuts of beef and a recipe or two. It was a successful day with Team Beef making it through with no injuries, and now they are revving up for more runs in the future! Go Team Beef!
This year has flown by and I feel like there was so much more for me to do. I’ve met so many new people, both state and nationwide that share the enthusiasm and passion that I feel about our industry, our way of life and our nation. I’ve learned or been reminded of so many things, such as:
- Everyone has an opinion, and they are more than willing to share it with you.
- Opinions can be changed, but only with facts provided by a logical, patient person.
- When dealing with consumers, the more personal you can make it the more connected and believable you will be (within reason of course!).
- Zealots are zealots and would rather jump off a cliff than admit that they are wrong.
- Our nation is full of wonderful people who are willing to do what is necessary to get the job done.
- Beef producers are the BEST!
I hope that the year 2014 has been as good to you as it has been to me. At times I felt like I did not have what it takes to head a wonderful organization like the Florida CattleWomen, but at those times I remembered that God will not give us more than he knows we can handle. Having a great support group of past presidents and veteran members has been one of my lifelines, right behind prayer!
Thank you for allowing me to serve you as your Florida CattleWomen 2014 President.
Sincerely, Denise Colgan.